The neighbor's alerted the authorities after the boy opened a tap for water, which eventually flooded the apartment downstairs.
A three-year-old baby was found chewing on plastic to survive as the malnourished baby was left alone at home. The baby was left to fend for himself after the baby's mother went away with friends. The three-year-old spent three days alone in a cockroach-infested apartment with no food to survive. The boy still managed to survive three days by eating sugar until the cops found him in an incident in Odessa, southern Ukraine, reported The Mirror. The boy's mother Natalia abandoned the kid at home and went to hang with her friends. After finishing the sugar, the only food he was left with, he was found eating the packaging of the sugar, which was made of plastic.
The boy was allegedly found naked, hiding under a bed and eating the plastic packaging of sugar. The boy had unwittingly raised an alarm after he opened a tap while trying to drink some water. The boy didn't shut the tap which caused the neighbor's apartment downstairs to be flooded. The neighbor ran upstairs to alert Natalia but soon realized she wasn't home and that the baby was alone at home. She called emergency services who rescued the baby last Thursday. ''When I realised [the toddler] was home alone, I called emergency services.''
A group of rescuers had to cut a hole in the metal front door to enter the apartment and save the three-year-old. A next-door neighbor spoke to local media about the incident and the appalling state of the apartment. "The boy was found hiding under his bed and chewing a plastic bag. He was naked. His face and hands were covered with sugar. Police officers checked the apartment and concluded that the sugar was his only food. After running out of it, the boy started eating the package.'' The neighbors told cops that Natalia had made it a habit of leaving her child unattended at home while stepping out to have a drink with her friends.
The kid looked pale and was rushed to the hospital where diagnosed him with malnutrition. Shortly after the incident came to light, social services visited Natalia's flat, inspected the living conditions of the baby, and found it to be dangerous for his health and life. Yulia Nikandrova, the head of the Children's Protection Service commented, ''The child lived in horrific unsanitary conditions. The apartment was infested with cockroaches and contaminated with dirt and filth. There was no food. The boy was neglected and covered with bruises.''
Natalia had returned to her flat the next day but learned that her baby had been taken away by social services on account of the poor living conditions. Law enforcement officials interrogated Natalia and charged her with failure to fulfill parental duties. Reports suggest social services are planning to sue Natalia over the conditions in which she raised the baby boy and also strip her of parental rights. For now, the baby is being treated at the hospital. Once he recovers, he will be placed in an orphanage, suggest local reports.
COVER IMAGE SOURCE: Curious child find fantastic fairy world with fairy creatures under his bed in kid room and looking astonished - stock photo/Getty Images/splendens
If you know of any children who are being subjected to abuse, please contact The Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at (800) 422-4453